Monday, November 29, 2010

Back from Green Bay

Yes the Raiders household has returned from our 9 day trip to Green Bay. The ride home was a little less eventful than the ride there. We kept Savannah up as long as we could on Sunday morning so that she would take a nice long nap for the ride home. Well that lasted about 1.5 hours. She was a real trooper though listening to all her Disney and Winnie the Pooh cds. She didn't make a real fuss until 3 hours into the trip. Luckily La Crosse was where we were planning on stopping and resting for a couple hours to give her a break from the car. We left at 1:15 and got home at 8. It was a great day for a drive home too.

Thanksgiving was so much fun this year. It's always fun to eat and eat and eat to your hearts content. There's not many days out of the year that you can really get away with that. Plus our family has so much to be thankful for this year. Here's the short list:
Savannah, Jeff's interview on Wednesday, providing us with a economical wise car, surviving parenthood thus far, having a place to go to for the holidays, being able to be a stay-at-home mom

Friday I did the Black Friday thing. It's really not my favorite day to shop. I would much rather jump over people on the day after Christmas for all the Christmas stuff that's 50% off. That's how I have accumulated a majority of my stuff. I take mental note of certain things I want in the Christmas aisle and aim to get them when they are at a more reasonable price. I did end up nabbing some items that I needed on Black Friday. I can never have enough white long sleeve shirts. They seem to get stained or just plain worn out. I got one at Old Navy for $5. I also bought Savannah a toy at Kohls for 50% for the ride home. A new toy to play with I thought might do the trick but I think she just enjoyed looking out the window for most of the ride.

Saturday Jeff and I went to Appleton shopping for the perfect dress for the Hormel Prom ahem, I mean the Hormel Christmas Party. Pictures to come but Jeff and I both thought it was the perfect dress.

Sunday: Savannah was baptized at Grandma and Grandpa Raiders church. We wanted to do it at a time when the Great Grandparents could also be there for it. It was a very special day. It was the day that Jeff and I stood in front of a congregation and said that we will be raising our daughter in a christian lifestyle. She just wanted to play with the dress. She was so squirmy that day that it was like holding onto a bar of soap. The dress was so slippery and that didn't make it any easier.

So when hopping on the scale upon coming home from GB, I made a said discovery that I didn't meet my weight goal of gaining 10 lbs. So there's still Christmas coming. Most people would think that being thin is something that every woman strives to be. Well I'm going to get a little personal and tell you that its not what its cracked up to be. People make comments about how thin you are and I'm the type of person that I don't know what to say after they make a comment. I'm not a person to be the certain of attention. I don't like attention drawn at me. I like to look good but not enough to draw all the attention on me. Just enough to make myself feel good. I will admit that I don't like the way I look. What woman does though. I know that God made me in his image but I wish he would though a little fat in desirable locations. Even my mother-in-law made the comment as I sat down after I just got done eating supper with a bag of potato chips and dip, how do you stay so thin and eat so much. Thank you! My point exactly. I'm not striving to be "thin". I don't have bulimia or anorexia. I'm really sick of the comments of "you need to eat something" or the sarcastic "your the mom". I eat! Jeff actually gets frustrated at times because I eat so much and when he eats as much as I do, he gains weight.

Onto my next struggle. I'm really caught between a rock and a hard place on this one. It's been this way for a while now. I think it started when I lost my job or else shortly there after. Anyways, Jeff wants me to go to bed with him every night. I try my best to do whats pleasing to him because really he doesn't ask for a lot. When he does ask for something he usually has a good reason behind it. I need my "me" time before going to bed. I need to have time to fold laundry that I didn't get to or simply watch a show without a little one screeching in the background. It's a time when I don't have Jeff calling my name to have me help him with something. We have tried to make a compromise where I will go to bed but get up and do my things that I want to once he's asleep. That didn't last very long because the sign of an argument he throws in my face "but you leave me when I fall asleep." How did I know that would come to bite me?! We need to figure out some kind of way to fix this before we have another child. I will eventually NEED that time of having no babies crawling on me or demanding my attention. Some time to just unwind and relax my mind so I don't go crazy. It's not that I don't want to sleep next to him when he goes to bed but I just need some sanity too. He tells me that I need my sleep and that's why I should go to bed. He's right but I don't fall asleep as easily as he does. Maybe it will get better when he doesn't have to wake up at 5am anymore and gets a position with a little more flexibility. Until then...let the battle continue.

Here's to hoping for another good nights rest.

2 comments:

  1. As far as being thin, this can be a sign of Celiac disease or thyroid problems have you ever gone to a doctor about it?

    As for the bedtime, I used to want Matt to come to bed at the same time as me when we were first married. It felt like spending time together. But it didn't take me long to realize that his biological clock was different than mine, his sleep needs were different than mine, his need for peace and quiet were different than mine. Trying to coerce him into coming to bed at the same time as me was like penning up a bull.

    Yes, you and Jeff are married, but you are individuals with separate physical and mental makeups. The key to a happy marriage is not doing everything the same, but learning how to mesh your unique personalities together into one life. Maybe if you can assure Jeff that you like that time with him and the cozy feeling of sleeping beside each other but you need some time to wind down at night before you drop in bed he will understand. More hours in bed at night doesn't necessarily equal a more rested mind. Assure him that you're not trying to avoid him, but you will be a happier, more energized wife with a little wind-down time.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use to have stomach problems when I was 18. Same symptoms at what you described in some of your posts but the last few years it really has gotten better. I can't remember the last time I had problems. I noticed that these problems came more frequently when I would have extra weight. As long as I keep my weight around 120 lbs I feel absolutely great. I loved pregnancy for that reason alone. I got to eat and eat and eat and felt fine except for the heartburn towards the end. I gained 50 lbs with Savannah but lost half of it giving birth and the rest came off by my post check up. Anyways, I went to the doctor when I was having these issues and they couldn't find anything. They did tons of tests, I'm not sure if they did the celiac disease test though. They stuck a tube down my throat to check for ulcers but every time they did a test it always came back negative. Every time they would just tell me that its irritable bowel syndrome and there's nothing they can do except that I needed to add more fiber to my diet. That still didn't help. I will have to get checked for celiac some day.

    I have tried to explain to Jeff exactly what you wrote. I think he feels bad because he can't stay up that late. He wants to but just having to get up so early forces him to go to bed earlier. He just doesn't want me to stay up when he can't do the same. I'm hoping that sales will be a refreshing taste to our marriage and make him a much happier man.

    ReplyDelete