Monday, June 13, 2011

How to train a toddler?

Being a mother was easy up until this point. I know how to change diapers, how to nurse, and burp a baby. Savannah didn't ever really get sick so I never struggled with any colds or other issues. The only thing I dealt with that was hard was her colic. The endless evenings of listening to her cry and Jeff asking me what was wrong. I felt like an utter failure. After the 4 month mark passed, she gradually cried less and smiled more. People always comment now how happy she is and ask "is she always this happy." I nod my head in agreeance and smile. I don't want to let the cover of adequate mom slip. In all honesty, I haven't the slightest clue what I'm doing anymore.

After turning one she has developed this attitude. She throws tantrums quite a bit. After reading my cousin Kathy's blog about her daughter's tantrums, I felt guilty for even complaining about Savannah's. What she had to go through with her eldest daughter is nothing compared to Savannah. Still dealing with Savannah's attitudes are wearing on Jeff and I. I'm not sure how to handle the tantrums. She is such a sweet little girl when she's happy. Toddler stage is way out of my realm of knowledge. I've almost considered buying a book on how to raise a happy toddler. There is so much that is overwhelming about this stage to me. Everyone tells you different answers about how to handle discipline, how much milk they should be drinking, when to take the bottle away, how much sleep they should be getting, how to engage your child in their surroundings, etc. I'm just hoping that eventually everything will click like it did when she had colic.

No comments:

Post a Comment