Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Social Butterfly

Being a stay at home mom has forced me to be more of an introverted personality now. I stay at home and rarely talk to anyone outside in the real world. I talk to friends and family on the phone. Going places with 2 just seems to make life a little more challenging. This summer I decided to change my introverted style and start to meet people again. I had some really great friends with our very short move to Massachusetts. I haven't been able to connect as well here as I did there. I made a commit this summer that I would change all that and meet some other moms.

First on the agenda was going to Jumpin Jacks. Its an indoor playground for kids under the age of 10 (in my opinion). Savannah had a blast going down the BIG slide and crawling through all the tunnels with daddy. I met one mom there and exchanged phone numbers with her. I arranged a playdate for us the following week. I got a text a few hours before they were suppose to come saying that her daughter was starting to get congested and she would have to reschedule. That was a month ago. I am yet to hear from her. Ok so that attempt to make a new friend failed.


This month we have ventured to story time at our local library. At first Savannah was not a fan just looking at the group from the back of the room. I had brought the stroller and realized that may have not been the best idea as she just stood next to it pretty much the entire time last week as her comfort means. Today I carried Carson in his carseat, Savannah in my arms, and a gigantic purse filled with all the toddler/baby needs into the library. It was a bigger challenge to carry all those items in but it paid off. After 15 minutes of standing in the back of the room, she decided to join the group. Here are some pictures from our time today.

With the library adventure I have to sit and wonder, where are all the stay at home moms? I sat among a mentor for a kids program, grandmas, and a few dads. I think I counted 2 MOMS there. As you can see from the picture there is 3 grandmas in the background. How am I to make friends if there are only Grandmas in attendance? I wish these stay at home moms would branch out of their cocoon and join the rest of the world. Take your kids to these wonderful experiences so they can dance and sing with other kids. Its so much fun to watch your kids interact with each other and lets admit it, we could use some socialization of our own. Become the beautiful social butterfly once again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment