Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Input and Issues

So after writing my blog yesterday I began to think in the afternoon that I might not know ALL the reasons why parents get kids cell phones. My child is only 2 and my biggest concern right now is not when to put that device in her hand but instead to keep her out of the street. She seems to love the thought of playing chicken with cars. I don't know how many times I have told her no on that subject and how many more times I will have to tell her no.

I will give you a reason why I became so passionate about seeing that cell phone in that 8 year olds hand. I see family dinners going away more and more. (one of my favorite parts of the day) I saw a child sexting. I saw rumors flying faster because they had the ability to send messages to many friends at once. I saw a teenager texting while driving. I saw parents arguing about putting down the cell phone to talk to their family instead of to a friend. I saw division and heartache. I know for our family personally Jeff argues about me being on the laptop too much and I complain about him watching too much tv. I sometimes can be a true hater of technology. It's suppose to be bringing us closer together because we can reach out whenever needed but it tends to bring a lot of division. More people are wanting to be "friends" on facebook and not in real life.

I remember being that age and sitting in the kitchen with my family texting my friends. I wish I would have enjoyed sitting with the people that REALLY cared about me instead of worrying about some stupid text. I used to go through 4000 text messages (incoming and outgowing). As a 26 year old (yes I can say that for one more week) I barely reach 200.

I hope that my previous blog did not come across harsh to a parent that has chosen to get their child a cell phone. I only have a 2 year old and I can't seem to parent her. I can't imagine what its going to be like during the teenage years. Things I struggle with on parenting Savannah is not to grab knives off the counter, staying off the street, not trying to get out of your carseat, staying in bed, do not climb on top of the dryer, Elmo does not need to stay on all day. These are just the daily struggles. You feel defeated at the end of the day. You hope that the choices you made are the right ones and will better her in the future.

So with all that being said, I would love to have the opposite of what I said yesterday. I would enjoy hearing WHY you got your child a cell phone? Has it provided all the benefits you were hoping or has it been an issue at times? What age did you get your child their first phone? Would you do it the same if you had to do it all over again? The only good thing yesterday that I could come up with was farmers children. When they are working in the field, you need someway to get ahold of them. But then I thought how did they get ahold of their parents before cell phones? They had cb radios so I really don't know if a cell phone is "necessary" in that sense either. Look forward to hearing everyone's input.

No comments:

Post a Comment