Friday, June 8, 2012

The cost menu to staying at home

Why it's worth the sacrifice to stay home.

My job in MN right out of college, I was earning roughly 32,000/year. I was bringing home roughly $2200 per month. I can talk about this now since I don't work there. Now everyone knows how much I was "worth" to society. For me to stay at home, its what works best for us. When adding up the monthly costs it just doesn't seem to make sense for me to do anything else.

Cost of daycare for Carson and Savannah: $1300/ month according to our church daycare rates
Cost of diapers for home and daycare: $160/month
Cost of gas: Roughly $150/month (depending how long of commute I would have)
Cost of clothing for work and children: $100 (just going by an average for kids outgrowing clothes and me needing new work clothes after a while)
Increase in car insurance because of an increase in driving miles: $40/month

So far I'm bringing home about $100 per week. Although this does not factor in eating out due to not wanting to cook when you get home from work tired. It does not take into effect the lack of couponing ability because I don't stay at home or have time to go through ads. This does not account for having to pay for daycare while I'm home with my child who is sick.

Ways I have learned to cut costs to make up for that $100 per week I would be bringing home:
Cloth diapering (at least part time)
Buying/selling/trading my kids and some of my own clothes on facebook and ebay
Making food by scratch such as bread, cookies, waffles, etc.
Using the majority of leftovers for something else
Lumping my errands to cut the cost of fuel each month. I put ONE tank of gas in my car per month
Less driving= less car repair costs and lower insurance rates
Homemade detergents, cleaners, etc

I believe with just that short list that I have made up for that $100 a week that I would be bringing home if I was working. The best part that you can never put a value on is snuggling with Savannah in bed in the early mornings. Catching her attempt to cook. Working on picture recognition through flashcards. Being a lifeguard next to her pool. Being the one there to soothe all their worries away and wipe all the tears. Playing peek-a-boo with Carson. Talking to Carson and having him coo back to me. These are just a few things that are priceless.

This is just how we are able to do it. Again the situation doesn't work for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment