Friday, September 20, 2013

Fit for the job

This week was hard. I'm not going to lie. As a mom, Satan doesn't forget about us and wears us down at times. A mother's job is more strenuous some weeks than others. The devil finds this as a perfect opportunity to ride in stealing your joy.

It's funny how when a mom makes a comment about how she is struggling in a certain area the first words out of people's mouths isn't ones of encouragement but ones of "you need to appreciate the life you were given." I have heard this line used not only towards me but to other people "some people can't have children or this time goes fast so enjoy every moment." Enjoy every moment.... doesn't that seem like such a far fetched achievement. Even for motherhood! The sleepless nights do pass. The toddler following you around every footstep does pass. It passes too quickly. I am 28 years old and been a mother for 3 years now. I still look at pictures of Savannah as a baby when we first were in the hospital feeling like it was yesterday. I don't need someone telling me that time goes fast because I'm living it myself.

Mom's need a place to vent out their frustrations as well. I remember working (yes it was only 6 short months) but I remember it nevertheless as a time to love my job BUT I also came to work some weeks feeling utterly defeated by a certain client. I would talk among my peers for suggestions and encouragement. I don't ever remember someone telling me to appreciate the fact I had a job and to deal with it. A job is a blessing. A job in a field that I loved working at. This is my new calling. This is my new job. It fills me with immense happiness. There are still those days or weeks or months where I struggle not to cry over the spilled milk on the floor or cleaning up the Mr. Potato Head pieces for the 5th time that day. You wonder if its making a difference at all.

What hurts the most is when other mother's are the ones that make these comments. As sisters in Christ, we are to build one another up. If you see someone struggling, you build them up with scripture, with praise, and compassion. You show them grace knowing you too have days of heartache. It works for parents as well. We are all in this crazy journey together that is really REALLY difficult. You are completely responsible for the life of this person and that is a big task to take on without support.

No comments:

Post a Comment